Allenas freelance writing blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Now, keep in mind gross is definitely not profit- i.e. that is not all my money. However, this was still a banner week for my agency, GardenWall Publications LLC, as I have never seen such large numbers on my spreadsheet.

Of course, the number one thought/question is How? and I've answered it in past posts, but here is my summary:

add moere services. My agency now provides writing, editing and translation. It started out as solely as a writing venture. At about 1.5 years in I added editorial services. This year I added English-Spanish translation.

become a business. I've recommended this many times for many reasons, but one of the main reasons is that larger clients such as multinational publishers and companies like to do business with LLCs and corps. (See #3)

Grab large volume projects and sub-contract the work. While I'm doing this, I'm not writing as much, but it certainly covers my bills in future months. I then focus completely on writing what I want to write.

Of course, some will think it's gross to talk about gross (income). However, most of the questions I get here are focused on making a career out of writing. I'm here to tell you that not only is it possible, it can also be lucrative!

A couple days ago, I told you about a turning point in my freelance writing career that actually happened while I was camping one summer. Turns out, I tend to have many turning points while camping. Hmmm.

Here is another one:

I found out I had been selected for About.com's training program, known as "Prep." Running this site at About.com has been one of the best parts of my career, and I'm not only talking about the steady income that is so integral to succeeding as a freelance writer, but also about the industry contacts and job offers that it nets me. And I knew, even then, the opportunity that was presented to me.

Well, imagine my annoyance when I found out my Prep training (a grueling process during which I'd have to compete with other potential hires for this job) was scheduled during...(guess)...a camping trip!

Yet, I knew that a steady gig with a steady paycheck was likely the ticket to freelance writing success. So, despite the complications, I brought along my laptop, and gave my all to the Prep training. This included late nights of composing articles in a notebook (again, in my trusty camper), and hours of laptop work using the WiFi at the local McDonalds. (Yes, I smelled like a french fry).

This particular campground didn't include the modern wonder known as WiFi, and I shuffled. Perhaps this wasn't the job for me. Perhaps I'd have to back out of Prep. The camping trip had been planned for some time, and included a group of friends who I did not want to jilt.

Sure, I missed some of the camping trip, but here I am years later with an ever-growing site, thousands of friends/writers/contacts and a steady gig that pays the mortgage.

Cliche: Investment in the form of hard work will pay off in the end

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 

foter ads